To move Professional or Enterprise Edition from an existing server to a new server follow these steps:
1. Locate the application main folder and/or any folders associated with this. This is typically <drive>:\CAPITAL. However, it is frequent practice to place the <drive>:\CAPITAL folder inside a <drive>:\CAPSHARE or <drive>:\CAPSHELL folder, that has additional auxiliary files and data associated with it. While the <drive>:\CAPITAL folder is the critical one, it is preferable to copy all folders across if there are additional higher level folders.
For example, if the applications and data are stored on your server on the C drive, they might be found in C:\CAPITAL or C:\CAPSHARE or C:\CAPSHELL or similar. You can use the short-cut on a client application (that runs BMS.EXE, the main application file) to establish where the critical application and data folder is located.
2. Copy this folder in its entirety to a drive on the new server. Keep the existing path name the same from the old to the new server, to minimise hard to anticipate incompatibilities.
The vast bulk of the transfer has now been completed. You do not need to download or install any additional software to migrate the application and data to a new server. The rest of this section will comment on additional issues to consider when changing your hardware platform.
3. User personal preference information specific to the original server, are stored in individual CAPWIN.INI files. These are usually found on the user's ..\USERS\<username>\documents\CapitalOfficeV8 folder. If you are moving from an old terminal server to a new terminal server, the contents of these folders should also be copied into the new terminal server as well.
4. If you will also be changing your email provider at this point, new email account and password information may need to be entered into the software.
5. The application software may be have been set-up to assume the existence of certain printers. To minimise disruptions, the same printers should be set-up on the new server as the old server.
6. Various customisations made to the software may assume particular file paths. I.e., if the applications and data were stored on F:\CAPITAL on the old server, users may have links to documents, templates and other data that assume that they will continue to be found on F:\ drive. To minimise impacts, ideally create an F drive share on the new server, if it was set-up that way on the old server.
7. The CAPITAL V8 applications are database applications.
Clients applications require the ability to open, read, write and delete files. They also require the ability to create and delete folders on the fly. Hence, file sharing security must be set to 'full control' for the software to work correctly.
8. Local cache must be turned off on the new server and also any newly added client PC's. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx
9. The software supports URL's or drive letter paths but NOT IP addresses. Do not create a file path such as \192.168.1.11\CAPSHARE\CAPITAL. Use the URL of IP address 192.168.1.11 instead.
10. To create a new short-cut to launch the software directly from the new server, locate and run the SETUPCLIENT.EXE program found in the main application folder, and follow the prompts.